Home Community Harare insists illegal structures on wetlands and reserves will be demolished
Community - June 5, 2026

Harare insists illegal structures on wetlands and reserves will be demolished

Harare insists illegal structures on wetlands and reserves will be demolished

For all the News from Mashonaland Central, Join One of Our Groups

The City of Harare says it will proceed with demolitions of illegally constructed structures on land reserved for public amenities, wetlands, road reserves and critical infrastructure, arguing that affected residents were warned repeatedly before notices were issued.

The position is contained in a response by Harare spokesperson Mr Stanley Gama to concerns raised by the Zimbabwe National Organisation of Associations and Residents Trust (ZNOART) over demolition notices said to be affecting thousands of households across the capital.

In correspondence addressed to ZNOART national chairperson Mr Shalvar Chikomba, Mr Gama said all areas listed in the notices remain marked for demolition.

“All areas mentioned in the document are earmarked for demolition. All structures without council approvals and built on areas earmarked for social amenities or built on top of our water or sewer infrastructure will be demolished,” Mr Gama said. “The document has full reasons why the structures will be demolished.”

To Advertise Inbox Us

Mr Gama said the local authority’s role is to safeguard orderly urban development and protect public infrastructure from illegal encroachment, adding that residents had been given enough time to respond after being informed of the impending action.

He urged prospective property buyers to verify the status of land with the council before buying or developing, warning against purchasing from illegal land dealers.

“To avoid such challenges, people must stop buying land from land barons and land criminals,” he said. “First seek clarity from the City of Harare before building or buying any piece of land.”

On calls by residents’ groups for regularisation of some affected properties, Mr Gama said the city would only consider regularisation where it is legally and practically possible.

“We will not regularise where it is impossible to regularise. Land meant for a school will have to be used to build a school,” he said. “We cannot regularise and endorse lawlessness. Otherwise, people will end up building houses even at Rufaro Stadium, knowing that the City of Harare will regularise. We cannot turn Harare into a jungle.”

Mr Gama also said while some affected parties had obtained court orders, others had not, and that in certain circumstances demolitions could proceed without court intervention.

“The notices are clear and unambiguous, and illegal structures require no other explanation than that they are illegal,” he said.

He called on residents’ associations to step up public education on the risks of buying land from illegal dealers.

“We hope residents’ associations carry out educational campaigns on the dangers of buying land from land barons,” he said. “The consequences look severe when we restore order, but why build on illegally acquired land?”

The city further warned that illegal settlements place pressure on sewer systems, roads and other services, affecting residents who pay rates and follow planning requirements.

“When sewer systems start blocking because of illegal settlements, residents will accuse the council of not doing its work, so it has to protect those legally settled and paying their bills,” Mr Gama said.

The council reiterated that structures built without approval on wetlands, road reserves, school sites, clinic land and areas reserved for public amenities would be demolished as part of efforts to enforce urban planning regulations.

Follow Our WhatsApp Channel for all the News from Mashonaland Central – Bindura, Mbire, Guruve, Mount Darwin, Rushinga, Shamva, Mazowe & Muzarabani

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term

Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term For all the News from Mashon…