Home Crime & Courts Gweru kombi fire: Driver and conductor remanded over pupils’ deaths
Crime & Courts - June 15, 2026

Gweru kombi fire: Driver and conductor remanded over pupils’ deaths

Gweru kombi fire: Driver and conductor remanded over pupils’ deaths

For all the News from Mashonaland Central, Join One of Our Groups

The driver and conductor of a commuter omnibus that caught fire in Senga suburb, Gweru, killing seven schoolchildren last week, have been remanded in custody to 23 June 2026.

Malcolm Elvis Cook (22) and Trinity Mudhenge (18) appeared before Gweru magistrate Deone Chiroyi on Saturday facing separate charges of culpable homicide. They were represented by Advocate Omega Tuso Maputsenyika of Maputsenyika Legal Practice and were not asked to plead. The State opposed bail.

The incident is alleged to have occurred near Chirandu Business Centre in Senga. The court heard the kombi was carrying 24 pupils who had been picked up from several schools when a fire broke out and quickly engulfed the passenger compartment. Seven pupils died in the blaze, prosecutors said.

In an affidavit, investigating officer Nyarai Lindiwe Makaza told the court that investigations were still ongoing and argued the accused should remain in custody while inquiries are completed. She also said their release could disturb public order or undermine peace and security in the community.

“The nature of the offence and circumstances surrounding it induced a sense of shock in the community,” Makaza was quoted as saying.

The investigating officer further argued that, taken together, the factors raised created a risk the accused could abscond if released.

To Advertise Inbox Us

Prosecutor Sibangani Dube told the court that Mudhenge is alleged to have boarded the vehicle with a jerry can containing about nine litres of petrol after the kombi had already collected pupils. The fuel was allegedly placed behind the driver’s seat.

The State alleges the deaths were caused by negligent transport and storage of petrol inside a passenger vehicle.

Magistrate Chiroyi remanded both Cook and Mudhenge in custody to 23 June 2026.

Follow Our WhatsApp Channel for all the News from Mashonaland Central – Bindura, Mbire, Guruve, Mount Darwin, Rushinga, Shamva, Mazowe & Muzarabani

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term

Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term For all the News from Mashon…