Home Community Repatriation begins for Malawians fleeing xenophobia in South Africa
Community - June 15, 2026

Repatriation begins for Malawians fleeing xenophobia in South Africa

Repatriation begins for Malawians fleeing xenophobia in South Africa

For all the News from Mashonaland Central, Join One of Our Groups

Repatriation has begun for Malawian nationals in South Africa after thousands gathered in Durban seeking transport home amid anti-foreigner threats, according to officials cited by eNCA.

Officials said more than 1,000 Malawians who had been camping at Sherwood in Durban while awaiting transport have now been processed for return. The Malawi Embassy arranged buses for the programme, which follows weeks of uncertainty at the site.

About 1,140 people have so far been verified for the Durban operation, with women and children being prioritised for boarding, officials said.

KwaZulu-Natal Premier Thami Ntuli said the repatriation was being conducted in an orderly and humane way, with respect for the rights and dignity of those involved.

“I am happy that we are working hand in hand with other countries to assist our brothers and sisters, so that they do not break the law. And when they want to come back, they’ll have to get permits,” Ntuli said.

He added that South Africa had no problem with documented migrants, while emphasising the need for proper documentation for those living in the country.

A Malawian national interviewed by eNCA said he was relieved that his wife and child were among those leaving first. “We are very happy. This is the beginning of the journey. We know that the women and children will go first,” he said.

His wife said she had endured two difficult weeks and was looking forward to reuniting with relatives back home. “Today I am very, very happy because I am going home. I have suffered for two weeks. Today I am happy that I am going to see my family,” she said.

She also cited winter conditions and concerns over her baby’s health, saying she wanted to access medical services in Malawi.

To Advertise Inbox Us

Meanwhile, a separate group of about 980 Malawian nationals was processed at the Lindela Repatriation Centre in Krugersdorp, with 14 buses deployed on Thursday night to transport them, officials said.

The Malawian nationals are being repatriated after leaving their homes and workplaces in KwaZulu-Natal following a wave of threats. Reports said more than 1,000 people initially left the Burnwood informal settlement after being told to leave, followed by a larger group estimated at between 4,000 and 7,000 that gathered at Sherwood Hall in Durban from different areas of the province.

The group said anti-illegal immigration activists had been moving through suburbs, businesses and informal settlements, instructing undocumented migrants to leave South Africa by 30 June.

South Africa’s Department of Home Affairs, working with Malawian officials, is verifying identities and issuing travel documents to facilitate the process, with women and children prioritised, according to the report.

Follow Our WhatsApp Channel for all the News from Mashonaland Central – Bindura, Mbire, Guruve, Mount Darwin, Rushinga, Shamva, Mazowe & Muzarabani

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term

Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term For all the News from Mashon…