New York and New Jersey subpoena FIFA over 2026 World Cup ticket prices
New York and New Jersey subpoena FIFA over 2026 World Cup ticket prices
For all the News from Mashonaland Central, Join One of Our Groups
Prosecutors in the US states of New York and New Jersey have subpoenaed FIFA as part of an investigation into the pricing of 2026 FIFA World Cup tickets and claims made to supporters about seat locations.
The probe, announced on Wednesday by New York Attorney General Letitia James and New Jersey Attorney General Jennifer Davenport, comes amid growing international criticism of the cost of attending the 2026 tournament, which will be hosted across the United States, Canada and Mexico and begins in mid-June.
In a joint statement, James and Davenport said ticket prices for 2026 matches had “far exceeded the prices for any previous World Cup competition” and raised concerns about the experience of supporters trying to purchase seats.
“New Yorkers have been waiting years for the World Cup to come to their backyard, and they deserve a fair shot at affordable tickets,” James said. “No one should be manipulated into paying sky-high prices for seats, and fans should be able to trust that the tickets they purchase will be the ones they receive.”
The 2026 final is scheduled for July 19 at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.
Davenport said supporters had faced confusion in the buying process. “Being honest about ticket sales is not complicated. But FIFA has turned buying a ticket to the World Cup into a gauntlet of confusion, fake scarcity, and impossibly high prices,” she said.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino has previously defended the use of “dynamic pricing”, citing strong demand and what he described as high standard ticket prices for US sports events. He has also pointed to US laws that do not allow a ban on ticket resale after purchase.
Prosecutors argued the event should not be used to take advantage of visitors and residents. “It’s an honor to host the World Cup, but the event is not an invitation to exploit our residents and visitors,” Davenport said.
The investigation comes as supporters’ groups have also filed a formal complaint with the European Union over pricing, while other costs connected to attending matches, including parking and rail travel to stadiums, have drawn attention.
For Zimbabwean supporters, including those in Mashonaland Central who are planning to travel or follow the tournament closely, the outcome of the inquiry could affect how accessible 2026 World Cup tickets are and what protections are in place when purchasing seats through official and resale platforms.
Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term
Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term For all the News from Mashon…






