Home Agriculture Government pledges prompt payments to keep grain deliveries flowing to GMB
Agriculture - June 24, 2026

Government pledges prompt payments to keep grain deliveries flowing to GMB

Government pledges prompt payments to keep grain deliveries flowing to GMB

For all the News from Mashonaland Central, Join One of Our Groups

Government says it will pay service providers on time during the marketing season, with a specific focus on transporters, to avoid disruptions in deliveries of maize, traditional grains and wheat to the Grain Marketing Board (GMB).

The undertaking followed Cabinet’s approval of an update on the 2025-26 summer crops marketing arrangements and the 2026 winter crops production plan, presented by Agriculture, Mechanisation and Water Resources Development minister Anxious Masuka.

Speaking at a post-Cabinet media briefing in Harare, Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services minister Zhemu Soda said total grain stocks held by the GMB as at June 17 stood at 169 946 tonnes.

“GMB has received 40 693,28 metric tonnes of grain from Arda and substantial deliveries from communal farmers for the Strategic Grain Reserve,” Soda said.

He said the board would aggregate grain through its national network of 1 804 collection points and 89 depots, and would also offer storage services to clients.

To Advertise Inbox Us

Soda said the GMB also plans to introduce an in-transit grain storage facility, which he said is meant to strengthen the country’s grain import and supply chains.

On winter wheat production, Soda said 128 459 hectares had been planted, exceeding the target of 125 000 hectares by 3%.

He added that Arda had planted 59 880 hectares, which he said represents 92% of its target. Soda said the barley target remains 6 500 hectares, while Irish potatoes are targeted at 9 000 hectares, with expected production of 243 850 metric tonnes.

In the same briefing, Soda said this year’s Heroes Day commemorations will be held on August 10 under the theme, “Lest We Forget”.

He said the Home Affairs and Cultural Heritage ministry has completed updating the register of national heroes and heroines, putting the total number of fallen heroes at 254. He said Petros Khumalo, Shumirai Wekwete, Joseph Zethi Dube and Herbert Zaba Sambo were declared heroes posthumously.

Soda said government has begun phase two of rehabilitation works at Zimbabwe Liberation War heritage sites in Mozambique and Zambia. He said the four sites in Mozambique are Tembue, Nyangao, Doroi and Chicualacuala, while works are being completed at six sites in Zambia: Freedom Camp, Nampundwe, Mkushi, Mlungushi, Kavalamanja and St Mary’s Kabwe.

He added that work is also planned to start at the Boma site in Angola, including construction of a cenotaph with a roll of honour, as well as a mass grave, ablution facilities and a perimeter fence.

Follow Our WhatsApp Channel for all the News from Mashonaland Central – Bindura, Mbire, Guruve, Mount Darwin, Rushinga, Shamva, Mazowe & Muzarabani

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term

Mundubile seeks new party route as Hichilema eyes second term For all the News from Mashon…